The Community-Based Day Program provides all activities out in the community, offering participants a full range of experiences in diverse areas of life within their communities – in work, leisure activities and personal growth. Hope offers the Community Day Activity Program in San Mateo, Santa Clara, Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito counties.
- Integrates individuals with developmental disabilities fully into the community, five days a week, Monday through Friday, six hours a day.
- Provides domestic responsibilities, such as shopping and going to the bank, pursuit of leisurely interests and educational goals, and community-based learning opportunities such as visiting the library, taking classes at the YMCA, attending local theatre productions, visiting community museums, and volunteer work.
The program includes:
- Personal Enrichment Opportunities
- Academic Classes
- Independent Living Skills
- Community Participation/Service
- Work Preparation Skills
- Part-time Work
- Recreational Activities
- Be 18 years or older and a client of the regional center
- Live in a geographical area served by our programs
- Enjoy or wish to be integrated within their home community for daily activities
- Have the desire to work at least part-time or do volunteer work
Kathleen Nicolas began attending Community-Based Day Services in June 2014. Kathleen is a vibrant 23 year old woman who keeps very busy with activities ranging from golf to ballet. Prior to joining SVDN, Kathleen held a volunteer position at Lincoln Glen Church. Kathleen has a strong commitment to this volunteer job and voiced her desire to continue her work with the church. We have been able to accommodate Kathleen’s choices and coordinate her volunteer job at the church into her weekly schedule. At her volunteer job, Kathleen expands her personal development by gaining vocational skills as well as increasing her interpersonal relationships. Kathleen provides a much needed service to the church by sorting and filing the sheet music. This responsibility lies solely with Kathleen and the church certainly misses her when she is not there. We have been excited to work with Lincoln Glen Church and see Kathleen thrive at her volunteer job!